Stereo Cassette Deck
- MSRP $700
1988 - 1990
- How do I clean tape heads?
- To clean tape heads, use pure isopropyl alcohol and lint-free swabs. Throw the swab away after use.
- How do I demagnetize tape heads?
- Practical tape head demagnetizers are available for under $10. Try to find one with a plastic coated tip. If you can't find one which is plastic coated. you can slip a drinking straw or plastic tube over the tip for the same effect. This plastic will prevent the demagnetizer from scratching the head.
Before plugging in the demagnetizer, remove all tapes from your working area and unplug the recorder. Hold the demagnetizer away from the recorder as you plug it in. Slowly bring the tip of the demagnetizer up to the tape head and slide it back and forth across each tape head for five one-second strokes. Then pull it away from the head slowly and go on to the next. After demagnetizing the heads, use the tip on each metal tape guide with a similar five strokes. Last, slowly pull the demagnetizer far away from the recorder and unplug it. Recording engineers use a demagnetizer before each recording session.
(courtesy of AudioFAQ)
- How does bias fine tune work?
- The bias fine tune only changes the sound during the recording process. Variable bias is a compromise to adapt the deck to different tape brands. It is most useful for type 1 (normal) tapes. You make a recording, and then
compare in playback to the source. If the recording sounds bright, turn the bias knob clockwise 30 degrees and make another recording. Dull? Turn the knob counterclockwise.
You can also test by recording FM inter-station hiss, but keep Dolby off and keep record levels at about -20dB.
(courtesy of Tom Brucker)
- My deck needs new belts, where can I buy these?
- A good source is eBay. There are quite some sellers that sell dedicated belts for certain decks. Look inder the 'for sale' tab for current eBay items for sale for your deck.
- Closed-Loop Dual Capstan Transport?
- A closed-loop dual capstan transport mechanism ensures smooth, precise tape traveling and as a result excellent sound reproduction.